Tuesday, October 15, 2013

"Have a girl." they said. "It'll be fun." they said.

     I'll never forget the day I found out I was finally getting my baby girl! It was just another day, another ultrasound.  The Ultrasound Tech, Lynn, had come to know me by name, as this was my fourth pregnancy in seven years.  She had saw me get excited over baby number one being a boy!  I always think it's great when the oldest is a boy.  Then he can protect the other siblings. Seventeen months later when baby number two came along, Lynn got to see the same excitement when it was another boy.  It was only logical that the first two, being so close in age, needed to be the same sex.  They would grow to be best friends.  And, almost three years later, she witnessed me plastering a broad, fake, smile across my face, with big crocodile tears running down my cheeks when she pointed to the screen and said, "look boys, you're getting a baby brother!"
     When ask what you're hoping to have.  Most pregnant women's automatic answer is, "It doesn't matter.  As long as it's healthy."  Me, being the honest person I am, is telling you.  That most pregnant women are LIARS!!!  The very moment we pee on that stick and see a plus sign, we instantly start picturing one or the other. Pink or blue. Of course our number one desire is for a healthy baby.  But coming in close is a healthy baby, in the sex of our choice.
     So, as we left the doctors office that day.  I told Curtis, my husband.  "I don't care if I have to have ten baby's to get a girl.  I WILL have a girl!"  He looked a little scared.  But just like any smart man, he nodded, smiled, and kissed me on the forehead. 
     Baby boy number three, Dustin, was born in December of 2003 and I found out I was pregnant, again, in November of 2005.  I immediately started begging God for a girl.  I was desperate!  I didn't have a sister, every dog or cat we ever owned was a boy, my mom never wore makeup or done other frilly things with me.  I needed something feminine in my life!
     A few months later, in March we were at the ultrasound and Lynn looked at Curtis and said, "Daddy, you're going to want to buy a Winnebago for you and the boys. Cause when sissy gets older you guys won't be able to stand her and mommy one week out of the month."
     YES!!!  Lynn went on to tell us how girls hold grudges.  Even at the early age of three or four years old. Boys get mad and get over it.  But girls get mad and get even.  It's in their DNA.  Curtis was taking this all in, with fear in his eyes.  I was just seeing earrings, hair bows, big lacy dresses, baby dolls...you get the picture.
     So, when we left the doctors office that day, we went straight to the store and bought something pink.  And for the next five months we didn't stop buying pink! 
     August 12, 2006 we had little Ms. Dani Jean Coffee.  She was beautiful!  Of course, all of my babies were, but just look at her.  I instantly just couldn't get enough of her. 
     I DO NOT have a favorite child!  But my instant bond with my baby girl was completely different than it was with my boys.  I don't know if it was because I had waited for her for so long or if it was something else.  But there was definitely something.
     Dani was such a good baby.  She slept good through the night.  She had a very hearty appetite.  All the boys adored her.  She was our world!  The whole family catered to her every need and desire.  We didn't realize at the time the damage that we were doing to our little princess.
     At fifteen months old, Dani had to have surgery on both of her feet and one hand.  (I'll get into that in another blog)  She was in full casts from her hips to her toes and her full arm for five weeks.  She couldn't walk, she couldn't crawl, she couldn't stand, she couldn't hold onto a cup or bottle very easy.  She was basically helpless.
    We should have taken it as a sign that our baby girl was "changing" when she used her cast as a weapon and bloodied one of her brothers' noses.  I made excuses for her.  I mean, look at her.  Wouldn't you be irritable if you were all bound up like that? Yeah, that's what I thought!
     We couldn't wait for the day that she got to get the casts removed.  It was like a countdown to a holiday at our house.  So, we made the trip to St. Louis, to the Shriner's Hospital for Children.  Got the casts off, got some goodies from the nice guys in funny hats :) And headed home.
     Dani slept for most of the four hour drive home.  When we pulled into the driveway, Granny and all the boys were lined up on the porch waiting for our return.  When I got her out of her car seat to take her in, if I didn't know better, I would have sworn they gave us the wrong baby in St. Louis.  Gone was my sweet little "Dani girl" and in her place was this hateful, mean, possibly possessed, animal! 
     "Poor baby.  She's been through so much." said Grandpa. 
Hello!!! What about ME? Your poor baby? Do you not see this child beating the snot out of me? 
"Come to Grandpa sugar."  Gag!
     I'd like to tell you it got better.  But...that would make me a liar.  With three big brothers to do as they're told, when they're told.  It makes getting what you want super easy. They thought her little temper tantrums were "cute."  I tried to tell them that it wouldn't be cute when she was four or five and even less cute at fourteen or fifteen but they didn't listen.
     Fast forward about a year.  Guess what? I found out I was pregnant.  This time...not planned.  I.  Was.  Devastated! 
     After I came out of shock and quit crying.  I started begging God for another boy!  It's funny how time and circumstances change your mind and way of looking at things, huh?  My reasoning was, Dani was our little princess, I wanted her to have all the attention she could get.  She's been through so much and still had more surgeries to go.  She didn't need to have to share that with another girl.
     God does have a sense of humor.  First I couldn't get a girl.  Now I have two!  Meet Dakotah Jo.
Dani and Dakotah couldn't be more different.  God knew what He was doing after all.
     There are days that my girls make me crazy and I'm tempted to lock myself in the bedroom and cry.  But Dakotah has figured out that she can pick my lock with my van keys.  So, that doesn't work.
   Curtis constantly has to tell Dani that "the whole world is NOT a stage!"  She dances and sings down the aisles of Wal-Mart like she's the only person in the world!  It humiliates daddy.  I tell him that if he would just look around, lot's of other little girls do the same thing.  It's just not okay with him. I guess I've learned to pick my battles.  If you're gonna dance, just do it behind me so I don't run over you with my cart.
     Dakotah, on the other hand.  If I take a picture or video of her and she finds out that I put it on Facebook or YouTube, without her approval, she will have a total meltdown in no time flat.  I have to warn family and friends that come over NOT to mention a picture of her that I shared on social networking if they don't want to see a complete transformation!  It is not pretty!
      Even with all of their idiosyncrasies, my girls are so special.  
     Dani has such a heart for others. And at such a young age, she is eager to worship God.  And Dakotah is my little mini me.  She is by my side and does anything and everything that I do and need done.  This is an eye opener.  And makes me strive to be more like Jesus everyday, knowing that I've got little shadows watching my every move.
     So, are boys easier than girls?  In a lot of ways, yes!  But would I trade them?  Not for anything in the world!  
My sweet baby girls
     
Showing their individuality
Dani-the model
Dakotah-the gangster

No comments:

Post a Comment