Saturday, November 30, 2013

The Coffee Filter

     We recently had Direct TV installed and I'm absolutely loving this DVR.  With a house full of kids there is nothing better than being able to pause, rewind, and fast forward live t.v.  With all of the advances in technology I've seen in my 33 years, I'm thinking that it's possible that in my future, I'll see the ability to pause, rewind, and replay my mouth.  What a concept!  I'm sure I'm not the only one in my family that feels this would be a great invention.
     While I view my being outgoing, honest, quirky, and somewhat off color sense of humor as being "good" parts of my personality.  I've been told that it wouldn't hurt to "reel it in a notch or two."  It can come across as a "little much."  And some people may not know how to "take me."
     There's a slight problem.  This is who I am.  I don't know how to be any other way.  For as long as I can remember, all of my friends have said,"if you want to know the truth, just ask Jenny."  I pride myself on that.  I don't tell the truth because it's mean or because it's the ugly thing to do.  I tell the truth because that's what I've been taught to do.  Problem is, sometimes I tell the truth when nobody ask for it.  Come to find out, that's not okay.
 
   I sit here thinking about all the times the "Coffee Filter" would've came in handy.  (That's what I would call the DVR for my mouth.  Pretty clever, huh?)  There are really too many times to count.  From the embarrassing, stupid things I've said, that I sooo wish I could take back and will never live down.  To the hurtful, mean things that I've said to the people that I love.  That although they may have been true, didn't always need to be said out loud.  To the extremely inappropriate jokes I've made in awkward silences to complete strangers.  Why?  Because that's just what I do.
     Where do I begin?  Might as well go back to my first recollection of my idiotic behavior:
     The year was 1998.  I was 18 years old.  A group of friends and myself went to the theatre to see the new Titanic movie.  We were all so excited!  That was a long time ago.  But as best as I can remember, we stood in line for at least an hour, maybe a little longer.  We were getting ready to give our tickets to the lady when a teenage boy ran out of the theatre and yelled, "Let me ruin it for ya.  The ship sinks!"  Everybody laughed, except me.  I didn't find any humor in it at all!  I...WAS...TICKED!!!  I said, "seriously?  Thanks a lot!"  I went on and on about how long we had stood in line and now we knew how the movie ended.
     Um...apparently I slept through that day in history class.  Or I was writing notes to friends or something.  Because I swear I had never heard of the Titanic in my life!  
     That story has given a lot of people laughs over the years.  At first whenever somebody brought it up, I almost cried.  It was so humiliating.  People that I had never met in my life would come up to me in public and say, "Seen any good movies lately?"  Good one.  Now, go pick on somebody your own size.
     Fast forward several years.  Curtis and I were visiting with some friends.  We were discussing the president, which was George W. Bush at the time, and his wife and their twin daughters Barbara and Jenna.  I made the comment that I never understood why someone would have twins and give one of them a really cute name, like Jenna, and the other one such a plain, boring name, like Barbara.
     We were eating.  And in between bites I glanced around the table and noticed that everyone was looking at me kinda funny.  Nothing registered and I kept talking.  I said, "I know Jenna is a lot like Jenny so I don't mean to sound conceited.  It's just a really cute name.  But Barbara?  Really?  It's an old lady name!  Can you imagine looking at a tiny baby and saying, "awwww, come here Barbara.  Goo goo gaa gaa!"
     I glanced around again and they all had their mouths hanging open, looking at me so strange.  Then I looked at Curtis and he was giving me that, "You're doing it again" look.  Then it hit me.  We were having dinner with Jerry and BARBARA!
     How could I dig myself out of this one?  I couldn't.  So I didn't even try.  For once, I just apologized and shut up.  
     I know my face must've been 10 shades of red but not quite as red as Curtis's.  I just then started to realize why Curtis liked to spend so much time at home.  I can't say that I blame him.  So, if you want to know what I think of your name, just ask me.  I'll tell ya!
     Working at McDonald's has been so good for me.  It's gotten me out and about amongst other adults and given me a chance to mix and mingle with people that otherwise, I would've never met.  I really enjoy it. 
     A few nights ago a man came in and ordered a Bacon Buffalo McChicken.  I told him his total was $2.16.  He said, "$2.00?  Man!  That's an expensive sandwich!"  I told him anything with bacon on it's going to be more pricey.  I ask him if he'd bought bacon lately and went on to tell him how expensive it is.
     He said "No." He hadn't bought any.  He'd been in jail.  "The only pig he'd seen were the cops."  Hmmm...that's nice.
     He changed his order to a regular $1.00 McChicken.  I put his sandwich in a bag.  And with a smile on my face said, "Enjoy your sandwich...and your freedom."  As an after thought, I yelled after him, "but not your bacon." He turned around and smiled and said, "Have a great night!"
     The working manager thought It was funny.  I was just glad the ex-con had a good sense  humor.
     I think I saved my favorite for last.  I can't handle silence.  Most people will talk about the weather, sports, their kids, etc...I'll just say the first random thing that pops into my head.  NOT always, or even usually, a good idea.
     One day last summer I was just getting home and noticed a middle aged man walking down the sidewalk, using a walker.  I thought it was so sad.  He was walking pretty slow and it was obvious it wasn't an injury.  He was crippled.  
     Then I noticed that the boys had left their homemade ramp in the middle of the sidewalk from the night before.  A couple of concrete blocks and a piece of plywood.  So I sat my groceries down on the porch and ran out there to move the things out if his way.
     I moved them, and said, "Have a good day."  Okay okay.  I wish that's what I had said.
     I started to move them.  And said, "Let me get these out of your way."  Then I had a better thought.  So...I put them back down and said, "Unless...you want to back up and ramp it?!"  I no more than had the words out of my mouth than I thought, Jenny, what in the world is wrong with you?  Who says things like that?
     Luckily it was well received.  He decided to pass on the stunt.  But said if he was gonna do it, he'd hafta get a better run at it.
     I kept this from Curtis for several days.  I get tired of "the look."  And boy did I get it when he finally found out.  Oh well, what do ya do?
     At the end of the day, I'm not perfect. Who knew?  
     Thank God, He's still workin' on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment